Wednesday, June 11

British Meal Illustrations

Well hello there! Just a quick post to tell you what I've been up to the past few weeks!
I have been working on a set of watercolour illustrations of traditional British meals. I started doing these mainly because I love food; but also to see if anyone else out there loves food as much as me too! So I thought I would try my hand at depicting some of the British favourites.
I began by making some rough sketches to decide on the "layout" of the food and the like:

Then on to some more worked up sketches of the meals - I did a lot of research to see how various dishes were generally portrayed - it made me hungry, I can tell ya!

These were then traced onto watercolour paper using my light box:

It was then on to painting with watercolours:

The final step was to then scan them into the old computer and do some tweaking and brightening:

I'm just making some final touches to them and then they will be ready to send off to print! Wa-hoo!
The Christmas-themed meals are going to be printed as square cards, whilst the British meal ones are going to be A5 prints.
The meals on the Christmas cards will be: Christmas Dinner, Christmas Trifle, Christmas Mince Pies and Christmas Pudding.
The meals on the A5 prints will be: Fish & Chips, Steak & Ale Pie, Chicken Tikka Masala, Cream Tea and a Full English Breakfast.
They shall be appearing in my Etsy Shop in the future.

I'm thinking of maybe trying to film myself in the future whilst I'm working on an illustration, so you are able to see the way I work - plus I really like watching other people's work in progress videos; I  especially like the sound of pencil on paper, I find it very soothing.

So there we go, until next time when I'll be more than likely showing off my spoils from my recent trip to Paris! Whoop!

No comments:

Post a Comment